• December 21Winter Break December 23 - January 7

• February 13Follow us on Instagram @grpthegrand

• January 25Follow us on twitter @GRPGrand

To Stand or Not to Stand

The+varsity+volleyball+team+stands+in+a+row+for+the+National+Anthem+before+their+final+home+game+against+Fruitport+Calvary+last+Thursday.+
The varsity volleyball team stands in a row for the National Anthem before their final home game against Fruitport Calvary last Thursday.

In recent months, a new debate has overtaken America: is it okay to stay seated for the pledge of allegiance and national anthem?

San Francisco 49ers’ quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, is the one who brought this debate to light. During the national anthem at Kaepernick’s preseason games, he decided to sit instead of stand. At first, he was alone in this peaceful protest, but his actions are catching fire around the country as more athletes join him.

Kaepernick didn’t want to show pride in the American flag because of the oppression against African Americans. He felt it would be wrong of him to support his country while African Americans are being killed because of their skin color.

While Kaepernick makes his own statement by remaining seated, college student Connor Brewer of Millikin University does the exact opposite.

Brewer is a football player at the University of Millikin. The rest of his team, including his coach, decided to stay in the locker room during the national anthem at their games. Brewer was then faced with a choice. To stand or to sit.

Brewer decided that it was his responsibility to stand on the sidelines during the national anthem, even though the rest of his team remained in the locker room.

Both of these men have their own convictions. They both are living out those convictions, and for that, we should respect them.

But, there is also a time and place to voice your opinion. While the growing tensions in this country are a serious problem that needs taken care of, the time to protest it is not during the pledge of allegiance or national anthem.

The pledge of allegiance and national anthem are spoken not only to honor our country, but also to honor the men and women who have laid down their lives for it.

America undoubtedly has its problems. Overall though, we are so blessed to have the freedoms we do–freedoms such as standing, or not standing for the national anthem. The fact that we have those freedoms is reason enough to stand.

1 Comment

One Response to “To Stand or Not to Stand”

1. Dojunim Bill on October 26th, 2016 5:56 am

Well written. As a LEGAL permanent alien, trying (trying) for citizenship, I stand for those very reasons.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• To Stand or Not to Stand

Opinion

Tyler Perry’s Arcimony Review

• To Stand or Not to Stand

Multimedia

The World is Yours Review

• To Stand or Not to Stand

A & E

A Series of Unfortunate Events: Season Two Review

• To Stand or Not to Stand

News

Parkland: One Month Later

• To Stand or Not to Stand

Opinion

World Cup Group Stage Analysis

• To Stand or Not to Stand

Opinion

Kneeling for a Cause

• To Stand or Not to Stand

Opinion

The United States Has Failed

• To Stand or Not to Stand

Opinion

The Hate U Give

• Opinion

Gun Control Laws=Mass Shootings

• To Stand or Not to Stand

Opinion

Is There Intelligent Life Out There?

The student news site of Grand River Prep
To Stand or Not to Stand