• December 21Winter Break December 23 - January 7

• February 13Follow us on Instagram @grpthegrand

• January 25Follow us on twitter @GRPGrand

Scream Your Way into Halloween

If you’re looking to get in the Halloween spirit, look no further than The Forest of Fear, located in Caledonia. This spooky ⅓ mile walk through the woods is sure to get anyone’s heart racing for just $15.

Open every Friday and Saturday night from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., the Forest of Fear welcomes anyone searching for a scare. Clowns, witches, werewolves, and other ghoulish creatures lurk in the darkness ready to jump out as you walk on the torch-lit path (keep in mind that actors are not allowed to touch you).

Sienna Meekhof, a senior at Grand River, went to the Forest of Fear last weekend and explained it as, “a good way to spend a Saturday with friends.”

When asked what the scariest part was, Meekhof explained that it was the “school bus when they banged on the drum as you walked by in the dark.” She added that “it was good for first timers.”

Along with a bus, there are also small shacks and structures for you and your friends to fumble through. Everything from fog machines to strobe lights are used to give the setting a more realistic feel. Similarly, the actors are dressed up for their part.

The Forest of Fear has been open for 16 years, and all of the actors there are volunteers. All of the proceeds made from ticket sales go into either adding to the forest or are donated to South Kent Junior Chamber. The money given to South Kent Junior Chamber helps fund community projects throughout the year.

However, if you’re looking for something scarier, you should consider checking out The Haunt, which is also in Caledonia. Tickets cost $21 per person, or $31 if you want a speed pass to avoid long lines, and they grant you access into a 20,000 square ft haunted house.

Many aspects of the Forest of Fear and The Haunt are similar, such as using strobe lights and fog machines. However, The Haunt prides itself in being voted Grand Rapids Magazine’s 2014 Ultimate Bucket List.

Whichever one you choose, make sure to bring along friends to scream with you.