• December 21Winter Break December 23 - January 7

• February 13Follow us on Instagram @grpthegrand

• January 25Follow us on twitter @GRPGrand

Recite This

Ashley Davison, Staff Reporter

After three years, Grand River Prep brought back Poetry Out Loud to the school. Students recited their poem in the classroom and the winners then recited it in front of the school on Nov. 17 after school.

The winner of the contest was junior Eli Hamlet who recited “Horns” by Kwame Dawes. Hamlet’s brother won Poetry Out Loud three years ago, and he says it is nice to reach the heights of his brother: “My brother inspired me to get into poetry; I always have enjoyed reading his pieces.”

Hamlet is now preparing for the state competition by reciting a bit to family and friends everyday:  “The competition is not until March, so I have some time.” He adds that, “it felt really good to win, it is always nice to win something.”

Another contestant was senior Erica Yahya. Yahya admitted that she was surprised that she was picked from the classroom round, and that she was very nervous to go up and recite her poem in front of the school.

Yahya wanted everyone to know the key to how she was successful is to “be confident!”

Junior Jada Jennings, was another contestant for Poetry Out Loud. She was also surprised she got picked but was glad that she got the chance to say her poem in front of students at Grand River Prep.

“I was nervous but excited to recite my poem,” Jennings said.

Jennings memorizing strategy was to repeat her poem consistently for a week, making sure to separate it 5-6 lines at a time: “I  wanted something ‘challenging’ and, most importantly, I  wanted a good grade,” said Jennings.

Winner Eli Hamlet will recite his poem at the state competition on March 3,2016; if he wins state, then he will move onto nationals in April.