• December 21Winter Break December 23 - January 7

• February 13Follow us on Instagram @grpthegrand

• January 25Follow us on twitter @GRPGrand

A Colorful Production

Sammy McNeill, Staff Reporter

Last weekend, Grand River performed their production of the musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, composed originally by Andrew Lloyd Webber. The GRP drama team worked hard over the span of four months to fine tune and perfect every aspect of the musical. They performed the show at the South Christian High School auditorium on both Friday and Saturday night, and the house was packed on both nights.

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is a unique musical because, unlike most musicals which is a play with musical performances mixed in to help tell its story, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’s story is completely in song.

And on the topic of the cast, the cast and director Jennifer Parmelee’s hard work showed, with amazing singing performances from leads Andrew Lawrence who played the role of Joseph, and Coralys Guzman and Tamiyah LaGrone who played the roles of the show’s two narrators. Their great performances were complimented by the amazing acting done by their fellow actors and actresses.

One of the actresses, Emma West, who played the baker, Issachar’s wife, and an egyptian, described how she enjoyed being a part of her last production as a senior: “I had a lot of fun and I’m really sad that it’s over because I really enjoy being on stage, and we all really enjoyed performing the show for our peers.”

She added that the most rewarding part of being a cast member is at the end of the show, when everyone is bowing to the applause: “We [the cast] were all pretty proud.”

Being part of something so big can help a person grow in more ways than one, and in West’s case, it got her “out of [her] comfort zone,” and helped her “grew as a performer in practicing dancing with other people.”

Overall, this was a magical show, both for the people in the musical and the people who witnessed it. Great job everyone that partook, you all did amazing. Good luck on future productions, thank you for all your hard work!