• February 13Follow us on Instagram @grpthegrand

• January 25Follow us on twitter @GRPGrand

• October 15Remember To Post With #GRPbestyearyet

It Review

Patrik Konomi and Angel Cantu

Andy Muschietti’s It, based on the novel by Stephen King, will live up the expectations that the trailers have set. Pennywise (Bill Skarsgard), the evil clown who terrorizes a small Maine town, appears frequently enough on screen that you start to grow anxious to his smile. He inspires the feeling of fear that horror fanatics crave in a remake of their favorite childhood movie. This sewer-dwelling clown first appears in a storm drain in the movie’s opening scenes, and for the rest of the movie’s two hour runtime. Pennywise seems to be in every other place you look such as in the photo carousel during a family slideshow, from the pages of old books in the library, and all over the town’s sewers.

The movie’s approach extends to the movie’s pacing. Almost every scene adds the atmosphere that builds into climatic jump scares like the appearance of Pennywise, zombies, wall portraits coming to life, and a whole bathroom of blood. Each of these encounters is tied to the fears of the person seeing it. Among them is Bill (Jaeden Lieberher), a shy, stuttering high school freshman whose little brother Georgie (Jackson Robert Scott), has been missing for the past year. On the last day of the school in the year 1989, Bill and his group of friends pledge to spend the summer solving the mystery of what happened to Georgie.

It isn’t until they meet with Ben (Jeremy Taylor), that they learn their town has long record for unsolved child abductions. After all their investigations and discovery, the kids descend to Pennywise’s underground lair to battle both the clown and their own fears. Although there’s little about the ending you couldn’t have seen coming, it’s still interesting to watch a bunch of teenagers come together to confront their fears.

During the movie’s closing scene, the words Chapter One appear on the screen. The novel’s second chapter is set 27 years in the future, the kids will come together in early middle age to confront the next incarnation of the cynical clown. While they may have overcome fears in the past, new fears will most likely dictate the narrative of the next movie. The second installment of this movie is set to release September 9th, 2019. This time around it is expected that there’s a lot of the story left to tell as foreshadowed by It.

Overall, I personally think it’s a great movie that includes both humor and horror. There were times where it included clever jokes, but there was also times where I was at the very back of my seat, cowering away from my screen as I watched it. This is one of the best horror movies I’ve watched in a few years; I would highly recommend watching the original series and then watching this masterpiece of a movie after.