• December 21Winter Break December 23 - January 7

• February 13Follow us on Instagram @grpthegrand

• January 25Follow us on twitter @GRPGrand

The Hate U Give

Mishaylah Camp, Staff Reporter

Angie Thomas did a wonderful job with her first young-adult novel, The Hate U Give. The New York Times bestseller novel gives young adults a story of a 17-year-old Starr Carter that witnessed her unarmed, insistent, black male best friend get killed by a police officer.  As the sole witness to her friend Khalil’s fatal shooting by a police officer, Starr is overwhelmed by the pressure of testifying before a grand jury and the responsibility of speaking out in Khalil’s memory. The incident also means that the carefully built-up boundary between Starr’s two worlds begins to crumble. For years, she has spent her weekdays at a private, majority-white school, where she explains, “I’m cool by default because I’m one of the only black kids there.” Back at home, she lives with her father “Big Mac,” a former gang-member who wants to make their crime-ridden neighborhood a better place, and her mother Lisa, who wants to move away in order to keep her family safe. The novel gives you an feel of emotion, power, and hopefulness for the characters in the novel. Thomas, throughout the novel, references Tupac Shakur thoughts of THUG LIFE, and the meaning behind which allows readers to step into the mindset of Starr and her family’s perspective on life.

As a book written for teens, The Hate U Give reminds readers of just how often racialized violence is carried out against that age group. For example, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and many more teenage black, insistent, unarmed males in America that went through the same thing the character Khaili did. I would recommend for everyone to read this book to get an understanding of how things like this feel and how we can prevent them. The novel, The Hate U Give, is definitely a five star book for me.