• December 21Winter Break December 23 - January 7

• February 13Follow us on Instagram @grpthegrand

• January 25Follow us on twitter @GRPGrand

World Cup Group Stage Analysis

Saul Becerra, Staff

December 1st was the official group stage draws for the Fifa World Cup 2018 in Russia. The group stage draws where hosted in Kremlin. The 32 teams that qualified to participate in the 2018 World Cup where split into 4 plots(Groups) which were released on the 16th of November. The teams were chosen into plots by their Octubre fifa world rankings, besides Russia who are automatically in Pot 1 and in Group 1.

Pot one: Russia, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, Belgium, Poland, and France

Pot two: Spain, Peru, Switzerland, England, Colombia, Uruguay, Mexico, and Croatia.

Pot tree: Denmark, Iceland, Costa Rica, Sweden, Tunisia, Egypt, Senegal, and Iran

Pot four: Serbia, Nigeria, Australia, Japan, Morocco, Panama, South Korea, and Saudi Arabia

The 32 teams in each pot will be placed into 6 different groups. The teams in Pot one will automatically be in the first position in whatever group they are drawn into. The same works for pot 2, 3 and 4. The draw works randomly, besides Russia who are attumatily in Group A since they are the host of the World Cup.  

Group A analysis: Russia, Ururgary, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia.

The opening game for the World cup will be Russia vs Saudi Arabia. This group is really balanced, but Ururgary is expected to win this group and advance to the next round.

Group B analysis: Portugal, Spain, Iran, and Morocco.

Group B should be easy for both Portugal and Spain. Both teams are expected to go through to the next round, which leaves Iran and Morocco to be eliminated.

Group C analysis: France, Peru, Denmark, and Australia

France is expected to dominate in group C and advance into the next round, while Peru, Denmark, and Australia are going to fight to get second in the group to get the last spot to qualify for the next round.

Group D: Argentia, Croatia, Iceland, and Nigeria

This has to be the most exciting, competitive, and balanced groups out of all 6. Argentia being the the runners up for the 2014 world cup are looking to be one of the two teams that advance to the next round. Nigeria beating Argentina last month and Croatia with one of the best midfielders also have a strong chance on advancing to the next round. Iceland is looking to shock the world in their first ever World Cup appearance in history!

Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

This is for sure the battle for second place, knowing that Brazil is expected to be in first place in the Group. Costa Rica and Switzerland are two teams that are looking to beat each other to advance to the next round, while Serbia is expected to finish in last place in the group.

Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

A lot of people call this the group of death, Germany are the current World Cup Champions and they are looking to finish first in the group after beating Mexico last  summer 4-1. Mexico is still looking to fight to beat Germany and finish first in the Group. Sweden and South Korea are good team and they are looking to beat Mexico to atleast make second place.

Group G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

In this group we expect England and Belgium to easily qualify for next round, but due to how bad they are currently are doing according to their fifa ranking, one of the two teams could fall off and let Panama or Tunisia take their spot to the next round. Panama being their first world cup, they are looking to shock the world and make the next round.

Group H: Poland, Columbia, Senegal, and Japan

This group is balanced out but in this group we would expect Columbia and Poland to qualify to the next round, but both teams aren’t doing good in international play so Japan and Senegal has a strong chance.

My favorites to win the World Cup are Brazil or Germany. Brazil will make it far in the World Cup because they have an amazing team, with their best player, Neymar being dangerous with both club and country. Germany will also make it far because they are the current World Cup champions after beating Argentina in the 2014 World Cup Finals in Brazil. Germany has an amazing team with great veteran players and great younger players.