The student news site of Grand River Prep

Dangerous: Epilogue

By Kiara Caudle

March 26, 2018

A year later…

I look at my kids, happy that I survived last year’s events. I have to learn how to walk again. My family has been here through it all. It’s been a roller coaster since I got shot.

After I half died, I woke up, then was sent into a three month coma. I woke up on my own. I didn’t remember who I was or who my family was for a month. Finally, my husband took me to the church and everything came back.

During my coma, the doctors discovered that I was pregnant. They were able to keep the baby alive. She turned out to be a beautiful, curly-haired, brown skinned, happy little girl.

My husband has been able to help me with Carmella since she was born. It was hard taking care of our newborn and myself. We struggled a bit, but soon it became an easier thing. The kids began helping a little more around the house.

I have to take anxiety and trauma pills. My family and I go to therapy because the trauma was bad enough that my husband and daughter were having nightmares. Instead of teaching, I speak and do inspirational speeches.

The guys received life in prison with attempted murder and kidnapping charges. My family and I are happy with the consequences that they received. I forgive them for what they did. I hate that I was the most hurt out of it all.

The funniest part of my recovery is teaching my husband to cook the famous dishes I make for dinner meals. One time he spilled the potatoes out of the pan onto the floor instead of the over skillet. It was a disaster, it was very funny, but I tried my hardest not to laugh at the big mess. Instead, I tried to help make it better all together by getting up. It gets easier with every little step every day .  

I don’t walk much but I do try my hardest to walk on my own. Sometimes I can and somedays I just can’t do it. I give up sometimes and other times I push myself.

I don’t worry too much because of the wonderful support system that I have. My husband is amazing along with my kids. They don’t make as much trouble anymore. They are a lot more helpful around the house and with their baby sister. I appreciate my husband and kids. I just pray that in the future, our traumatizing experience is just a test from God, showing us that we can persevere through anything no matter what.