• December 21Winter Break December 23 - January 7

• February 13Follow us on Instagram @grpthegrand

• January 25Follow us on twitter @GRPGrand

On My Block Review

Anejia Mann + K, Publications Staff

The TV series On My Block is a new comedy/ coming of age drama on Netflix with four longtime friends that are entering high school by Eddie Gonzalez that launched on March 16. This series consists of four longtime friends (Monse, Ruby, Jamal, and Caesar) who are entering their freshman year of high school. The show takes place in present day South Central Los Angeles dealing with life’s roadblocks.

Overall, I loved this series and it is actually one of the first shows I binged watched on Netflix. I finished season one in the span of two days! The only flaw is that the episodes are only thirty minutes long, and there are only ten episodes, so overall it’s a very quick watch if you are committed. This show is a great watch for our generation from teens to young adults because it deals with issues that we encounter on a daily: peer pressure, love, friendships, and just figuring yourself out all are all issues targeted in each episode.

This series deals with difficulties in gang violence, love affairs, and friendships being put to the test, this show leaves you waiting for the next episode. The show is based in South Central Los Angeles in a neighborhood that is full of  gang violence. And it follows these four friends around as they enter a new journey in life which happens to be high school.

One main conflict in the story Ceasar is apart of a gang in which his friends try to help him get out of. Along with another conflict of Jamal being obsessed with a neighborhood myth of money being buried around the neighborhood somewhere and consistently looking for it. The ending to this series was very unexpected and leaves you wanting MORE and MORE  and MORE! The ending leaves you thinking about what could happen next or who’s going to end up with whom? Or if the ending is really a “happy ending”.

The characters in the show were really unique. Each character had a strong personality, but they all fit well together. For some people the first episode can turn them off, since it opens up as them all being in middle school. They’re all dorky and awkward, and the girl, Monse, is an obvious tomboy. There are also times where the characters personality can be kind of annoying. Like the character Ruby is goofy, sweet, and sometimes overly dramatic. Sometimes this can be really funny, other times its too much.

But overall, the actors do a really good job at making a serious real world problems funny and interesting. The best part of the show is the comedy, the drama, and casting Diego Tinoco, from Teen Wolf, as Caesar was also a great idea. We think that there has to be a season 2 because you don’t end a show on a cliffhanger like that. You never see the ending coming, and the choices the characters make makes you upset. It’s one of those good shows that makes you mad at how the story plays out.

This show is definitely on the list for 2018’s best teen dramas, but you don’t have to be a teen to watch it. Anyone who likes coming of age shows, can relate to growing up in a bad neighborhood, or can relate to being torn about your future, would like this show. In reality growing up with the pressure of joining a gang is a lot less funny than the show makes it, but it does show a side of someone with gang affiliation that a lot of people don’t see. It shows that not everyone is bad because not everyone choose that life. Also, it reminds the audience to not be so quick to judge. This is definitely a must watch! If you’re not watching this, you’re probably going to hear about it from all of your friends.