• December 21Winter Break December 23 - January 7

• February 13Follow us on Instagram @grpthegrand

• January 25Follow us on twitter @GRPGrand

Black Lightning Review

Kareem Houston, Staff Reporter

Black Lightning is an action, drama, and sci-fi tv show directed by Salim Akil that just completed its first season on the CW. Before Black Lightning became a tv show, it was a DC comic created by writer Tony Isabella and artist Trevor Von Eeden. It takes place in the city of Freeland where discrimination against black people runs rapid through the streets–kind of like how things seem today. The only way for things to change is if Black Lightning comes out of retirement and makes them change.

This is a significant show because it shows how there are people who care enough to try and make a difference, even if sometimes they think it’s not helping anything.

Discrimination and racial stereotypes sweep through Freeland and two heroes step up to the plate to try and make a change. At first, Black Lightning, was taking care of Freeland by himself, but as soon as the second hero, Thunder, discovers her powers she intends  on using them to make a change. When these two heroes first met, Black Lightning saw Thunder as a threat, so they had an epic battle which ultimately ended with Thunder knocked out on the floor. Black Lightning was in shock to find out that Thunder was really his daughter, Anissa. After a lot of explaining and pleading, Nissa joined up with her dad, Jefferson, to help save Freeland.

All the acting and production of this tv show was simply amazing. The cast of the show is China Anne McClain as Jennifer Pierce/Lightning, Nafessa Williams as Anissa Pierce/Thunder, Cress Williams as Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning, Christine Adams as Lynn Pierce, Marvin Jones III as Tobias Whale, Chantal Thuy as Grace Choi, James Remar as Peter Gambi, Kyanna Simone as Kiesha Henderson and Damon Gupton as Inspector Henderson.  A good scene from the tv show was when Black Lightning and Thunder defended their family from the NSA because they were hunting them for having superpowers.

The production as a whole was simply amazing; I can’t describe it any other way even if I tried. It mixes the hardships and responsibilities of life with the awesomeness of sci-fi. The show ties in racism and discrimination and how it affects anyone who’s black, even heroes. I would recommend this to teenagers who like action, drama or sci-fi shows.